Sunday 11 January 2009

In The Eye Of The Beholder

Some might have looked at this piece of wood in the 1€ chuck-out bin at the local bricomarche and just seen something used as a shelf with boot-marks and spilt paint on it. Along with a few other bits that I’d bought earlier from the off-cuts bin and some bits I had lying around plus an old kitchen unit front courtesy of S & P, I looked at it and saw the back and base of this.


So tomorrow my chickens will have new nest boxes. At the moment they just nest on the floor. The nest boxes that are there are too high for most of the birds and have been taken over by those that can reach them as extra perches and as such they are fouled (no pun intended). My silver-laced Wyandottes are far too heavy to get up high so I’m hopeful they will take to the new boxes and I will have clean eggs.

With these two boxes being portable it should be easy to clean them and treat them against insects.

Today has been foggy all day and there was a little frost around this morning too. I love the way the frost brings things like spiders webs into view, they are just so pretty.



3 comments:

jimmycrackedcorn said...

Excellent work. I love making something new out of a throw-away. Whether something complicated like your project, or as simple as adding legs to an old closet door and calling it a table for seedlings. It makes me happy to see something get a new life.

Barbara Martin said...

I have a neighbour who finds bits of things and old furniture people throw away and then fixes the piece of furniture or remodels it. He made me two dog feeding tables of different heights from scrap lumber. They are quite sturdy and will last a long time.

dND said...

I really like the idea of recycling - why junk usable stuff? I've also found I rather like woodwork. I've never been really artistic but this gives be ability to be creative, especially now I've got the notion of everything having to be perfect. It's the imperfections that give character isn't it.