Wednesday 6 January 2010

Shearing Time

Stardate 30th April 2009




The end of April is when Colin the shearer visits France and undertakes a whirlwind tour of a large part of the country shearing herds of alpacas. I was down for the 30th of April. Colin would be brought to me by the people he’d sheared for in the day and after he’d done my 5 I was to take him to the next people on the list. It’s a bit like pass the parcel.

I’d remembered to get them into the barn the day before so that I was sure that their fleece would be dry as you can’t shear wet fleece. I’d put in a couple of rings so that Colin could stretch out the alpacas and shear then. I was also very grateful to Sandy who came over for the day to help out; a very needed and appreciated extra pair of hands.



After an hour or so the alpacas had their summer cut.




2 comments:

Mickle in NZ said...

Ooo, you were luckier than lovely Olive over in South Aussie - check out her recent posts cos one of her Alpacas escaped so is in for a mighty hot summer!

The Squirrel Family said...

they look so cute with just their top knots. I love the sound of your community , you really did find a great place.

Shaz