Sunday 17 February 2008

A Start at Ploughing

Today was the day, my first ploughing day. It took me my usual half hour to refuel and check over the tractor and then another half hour at least to hitch the plough. I am getting better though. The main problem is, as I’ve said before, I’m vertically challenged. This lack of leg length means that I cannot fully apply the footbrake or depress the clutch and look at the hitching points at the same time. This results is a carnival act where I have to try and gauge how far the tractor

will roll forward while I shift slightly forward on the seat in order to stop the tractor. Then it’s jump out of the tractor and try to attach the hitches, work out how far out they are, back in the tractor, reverse again making an allowance for the roll forward on applying the brake, out the tractor… repeat until somehow by luck, it all aligns. Then get the hitch on quick before the handbrake gives out – it needs adjusting at the next service.

The first furrow was surprisingly quite easy to do and I decided to use maximum draft (depth) on the cut. Remembering what Regis had said the day before, I circled back up to the top and cut down the field again. I was almost getting to think I could finish the field by the time I’d cut a few rows – I should never have thought that it might get finished when will I learn not to tempt fate.

Time for picture of my efforts, the furrows are even pretty straight. The problem with the ploughing is shown by the left most furrow. That was ‘cut’ not by the plough but by the tyres. Even after nearly 2 weeks of dry weather, just below the surface the clay soil is still waterlogged and I, despite 4WD, was back to wheel spin on all the wheels.

I managed a bit more my removing the draft and raising the plough but then realised that the plough was no longer cutting into the ground.

Half an hour of scraping compressed clay and weed later and the plough sheers are again visible but I have called it a day. When I looked at the furrows a bit later, some of them had filled with water. The weather is supposed to hold for a bit longer so I’ll give it another go tomorrow and see if any water has been drained by the furrows I cut today. If not, this could be a very long job with me spending more time clearing out the plough than actually ploughing.

5 comments:

Living the Dream said...

wow! I thought I did well on my little sit-on mower, using it for various jobs, towing trailers etc, but hats off to you with the tractor. Do be careful when you jump down to check things out though just in case it rolls to where you are. I am vertically challenged as well JUST over 5 feet, but Richard is 6'4" so I can NEVER reach any pedals, not even on the sit-on. I sympathise. Thank you for dropping by and saying hello, I hope it isn't too boring. Talk again soon. You never know, we may be able to meet up in person one day?
Hazel
xx

Living the Dream said...

I have been reading your blog again and have I missed something before. Why do you keep alpacas? Are you going to work them? Back again soon.
Hazel xx

dND said...

I'm 5 foot 1 if I stretch so like you even the sit on it hard. Mines got a pressure switch under the seat so if stretch forward for the pedal the seat tips forward and it starts to cut the engine.

But as my mother always said, "The best things come in the smaller packages".

dND said...

I was going to bred them but don't think the market here is what it was in the UK. So they are for their fleece which I hope to spin (when I've learnt) and then crochet/knit items for sale (in my spare time haha).

Living the Dream said...

hello, it's me again. I have just read the comment you left on my daughter's blog clarabellesprinkles and I thought I would let you know that when she was still at school she was a beautiful lacemaker and it's something I really enjoy as well, though, like you, when I will be able to get back to it I don't know, but the beads and bobbins are just so tactile aren't they? We obviously have a lot in common.
Hazel
xx